Metaphors for the Musician
Metaphors for the Musician was released in January 2002. Although remarkably error-free for a new book
of its size, a few mistakes crept into the first edition* that were corrected in the brand new second edition. If you find others, please don't
hesitate to notify Randy at
*(characterized by a plain white
1. An important credit was inadvertently omitted from the front of the
Cover design by Bill Olmstead and Janis Mann
2. The inside cover page lists Randy's old e-mail address. He's
3. On page 69, the first staff of music is incorrect. Here's the right one:
4. On page 122, last line, first measure: the note
on beat 4 should be G, not Eb. This is also true on page 317.
5. On page 130, the fourth note on the first staff
should be F#, not F.
6. On page 131, the C7 alterations on line 2 should
be b9, #9, and #5.
7. On page 141, the text at the very top of the
page should be
C (not 6. 7 C)
and on line 2 the text in parentheses
should be (b9 or #9 and a #5).
8. On page 151, the Gmi7 on the second staff is a
III chord, not a II chord.
9. On page 156, the last note in the next-to-last
measure should be F (not Eb).
10. On page 169, the musical example is the wrong
one. Here's the right one:
11. On page 175, the comment at the bottom
regarding the G minor bebop scale refers to measure #8.
12. On page 176, the hira-joshi scale is wrong.
Here's the correction:
13. On page 189, the second staff, the third of the C7(#5b9)
chord is E, not Eb.
14. On page 195, next-to-last paragraph, line 1:
the interval structure of the Eb diminished scale is W H W H W H W H. (The last
H is missing.)
15. On page 243, paragraph 3, line 2: the 13th of
A7 is F# (not Fb).
16. On page 244, paragraph 3, line 2: the dominant
7th alterations should be b9, #9, and b13.
17. On page 248, third staff, first measure: the
Cmi7 voicing (Eb/C4) is bIII/I, not bII/I.
18. On page 258, the last voicing in the second
measure should be Db/C7 (not Bb/C7) and the failure code should be
19. On page 260, paragraph 1, line 6: replace Dbdim/C7 with Bbdim/C7.
20. On page 320, the last note in the next-to-last
measure should be F (not Eb), and on page 321 the last note is Bb (not D).